So it’s time to install a coating on your garage floor. The question comes up: professional epoxy floor coatings vs DIY? Watch my full video below for all the details of how to decide which one is best for you. Click on the arrow in the middle of the image below to start the video.
Professional Epoxy Floor Coatings – Pros and Cons
Let’s go through a quick list of things to consider when having a professional contractor install your epoxy or polyaspartic foor coatings:
- Multi-layered application
- Dries within hours
- Extremely durable
- Diamond-ground surface
- Hairline cracks and imperfections repaired prior to installation
- Colored flakes are spread by a machine, so you will have an even appearance
- Project completed in most cases in 1-2 days
- You can walk on the floor within hours
- Cost – Professionally installed epoxy floor coatings and polyaspartic floor coatings are by far more expensive than a DIY project.
DIY Epoxy Floor Coatings
So let’s go through the things to consider if you want to install the epoxy floor coatings yourself in the garage area:
- Water-based – most in the store are water-based
- Preparation – you’ll need to acid-wash and clean the floor properly and thoroughly prior to installing
- Tends to chip a bit easier than the professional grade epoxy since the store-bought version is water-based, it evaporates very quickly when being put down
- Color flakes are harder to sprinkle, so you might not have an even appearance
- Preparation of the flooring prior to installation should take around three days
- 5-7 days of curing time before walking or driving on it
Related Videos and Blogs
Final recap – I actually had my garage floor finished off and I choose to have a professional install it. This now has been over 10 years, and the epoxy coating has held up like a dream. I would highly suggest if you have it in your budget to have a professional install your floor coating. It does cost quite a bit more, but if you don’t prepare the surface properly, you will have a huge mess on your hands.
Don’t forget, if you need an estimate on getting your garage floor finished off with a professional epoxy floor coatings, give me a call. My team and I have been serving the St. Charles, Warrenville, Orland Park, Naperville, Plainfield, Joliet, Shorewood, and all of Chicago area for 30+ years.