Converting Whirlpool Tub to Shower
Jacuzzi whirlpool tubs were the rage in the 80’s and 90’s. Not so anymore. Converting whirlpool tub to shower in a master bathroom with seat benches are the trends we are seeing right now.
Let me show you how one of our customers converted their existing whirlpool tub and separate shower and made the master bathroom transform with a walk-in shower with a seat bench.
There are two sections of the master bathroom suite, the dressing area and the main shower area, both of these we remodeled for them.
Bathroom Dressing Area Remodeling Project
The dressing area of the master bathroom is first shown in the video below. In the video, I show you the bathroom selections that me and my design team had put together for this bathroom remodeling project in Naperville, IL. Let me break it down for you.
- We installed a taller vanity than before. It is so much easier to use your bathroom with a taller vanity. The new bathroom vanity is 34 ½ inches in a silver maple wood with a gunstock stain color.
- The knobs and pulls for the vanity are chrome finished.
- The vanity doors are all soft-closed doors. If you haven’t installed any new cabinets lately, soft closed doors are amazing. It is the Carlisle finish.
- The countertop is a Cambria quartz in the Cambria Waterstone Collection, the Buckingham selection. The beauty about quartz is that the design is consistent. With the vanity being smaller than a kitchen countertop, having consistency is a must.
- The plumbing selections (sink selections) are the Kohler almond color bathroom sinks.
- The rest of the fixtures in the bathroom dressing area are Kohler’s Memoirs chrome.
- The mirror was custom made to be full length of the bathroom vanity, and the wood trim around the mirror was custom made to match the wood in the bathroom vanity. This a nice touch to make it all come together and gives your bathroom that custom finish and look.
Bathroom Shower Area Remodeling Project
The bathroom shower area was completely renovated. Most homes in the Chicago area and Naperville had whirlpool soaking tubs installed when built. Nobody uses their whirlpool tubs anymore due to the upkeep and problems in the pipe lines. This was the case with our customer. They had the original soaker tub and across the room had a separate small one-person shower stall. We renovated the bathroom and took out both the soaker whirlpool tub and the shower. The homeowner’s wanted a large walk-in shower with a bench seat with pull-up safety bars. This is good not only for functionality by having more space to move around in, but in case you need to get a wheelchair in the shower area or someone to help you shower, there is plenty of room.
- The tile installed in the master bathroom is a porcelain tile, staggered vertically. We had the tile installed vertically to give the bathroom a taller feel.
- We cut in some glass tile as a decorative accent tile. This same glass accent tile was used in the niche shelf area in the shower.
- For the shower floor, we installed a smaller mosaic stone glass tile. This gives you better traction in the shower area so that you don’t slip in the shower.
- We finished off the shower area with the same Kohler Memoirs Stately Collection.
Brenda and I would love the opportunity to help you achieve a master bathroom that you have been dreaming about. Brenda and I want to transform your home to a place that you want to come to every day. A place that you feel at home at, can relax and unwind after a long day’s worth of work. Let us help you. Brenda and I feel that if we Transform Your Home, we can help you Transform Your Life. Call us today. We are excited to work with you soon!
Contributor: Mark Lotz
Mark Lotz is the owner of Lotz Home & Office, a Naperville Remodeling Contractor, Naperville Kitchen Remodelers, Naperville Bathroom Remodelers, and Naperville Painting Company for the past 30+ years. You can find Mark at his Google+, Twitter, or Facebook page.
Don’t forget, if you need an estimate on converting your old whirlpool tub into a shower, give me a call. My team and I have been serving the Orland Park, Homer Glen, Mokena, Frankfort, Tinley Park, New Lenox, Lemont, Orland Hills, Palos Park, St. John IN, and all of Chicago area for 30+ years.