A Is there really a defined way of how to paint exterior of a house? The video below talks about the correct ways to paint the exterior of the house and the methods to follow or don’t use. Click on the video below to play the full video:
How to Paint Exterior of House
So many homeowners get confused and don’t know if they should paint or stain their house siding. If you have aluminum or vinyl siding, you would be applying paint. Any wood siding, you would use a wood stain.
Most homeowners that have a cedar home are using a solid body stain. These tend to last longer than what was being applied years ago, semi-transparent.
So let’s go through a few basics to get a good exterior painting or staining of your home:
- Wood homes – use an applicator with a thicker nap roller
- Roller size needed – it depends upon how many inches wide your siding panels are.
- Aluminum or Vinyl Siding – you would apply paint and make sure the surface is good and clean
- Spray Application – I do not recommend applying paint or stain with a spray application. You can have too much over-spray and it is just not a good idea in general
- Going Lighter in Color – going lighter in color will attract less light from the sun. A homeowner can gain an extra 1-2 more years before needing to be painted or stained again. The darker the color, the sooner you will need to do the project again.
Related Videos and Blogs
Final recap – If you want to have an exterior staining or painting project last a long time, make sure you are using the right tools, picking out the right colors, and getting the surface properly cleaned and nail holes filled correctly. I hope this video helps you out. If you are hiring a contractor, maybe watch this video before he comes out to give you an estimate, so you can ask him more questions on how to paint the exterior of a house.
Don’t forget, if you need an estimate on getting the exterior of your house painted or stained, give me a call. My team and I have been serving Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Glenview, Northbrook, and all of the Chicago area for 30+ years.