Who doesn’t love a beautiful deck in the summer? It’s a place to relax on after a hard day and sit a coffee or glass of wine. But while you are out there, I’m sure you’ve noticed and thought to yourself, “My deck is rotting”. Let’s go over 6 deck problems and the solutions. Click in the middle of the image below to play the full video.
My Deck is Rotting
My deck is rotting. Have you said that to yourself every spring or summer? Here is a list of free solutions you can apply to keep your deck from rotting:
- Proper Ventilation – if your deck is built close to the ground, you will need proper ventilation.
- Leaves – Remove any leaves that are sitting on your deck or collect around the base of your deck or deck pillars.
- Trees – Trim back trees. They can attract ants and other bugs.
- Sap – Clean of sap every week. This can be hard to remove if left to bake on. The sap will make such havoc for your deck.
- Downspouts – Downspouts tend to collect water around and near your deck. Make sure all downspouts are directed far enough away from your deck.
- Potted Plants – Have all potted plants elevated off of the horizontal boards (deck floor and benches).
Related Videos and Blogs
Deck Cleaning and Deck Washing Video
Deck Cleaning without Power Washer
My YouTube Channel with 130+ DIY and Home Improvement Videos
Final recap – Sometimes simple maintenance around your backyard can have a tremendous impact on how long your deck will last. Taking care of these few items can keep your deck board from rotting. Just remember, water on a deck, over and over, day after day, will cause rot.
Don’t forget, if you need an estimate on your deck, give me a call. My team and I have been serving Downers Grove, Oakbrook Terrace, Elmhurst, Lombard, Carol Stream, Westmont, Willowbrook, Woodridge, and all of the Chicago area for 30+ years.