Proper Interior Lighting for Seniors
Aging in place (or some call it now living in place) need to have proper interior lighting for seniors. Let’s go over some ideas.
Types of Lighting for Your Home
Let me give you a brief list of some types of lighting that will make your home tasks easier:
- Task Lighting – over a kitchen island or over your sink for doing dishes; [ 2:42.1 task lighting ]
- Focal Lighting – to highlight a piece of art or area of home with an architectural feature
- Undercabinet Lighting – Great in the kitchen area for ambiance [ 4:30.2 under cabinet lighting, kitchen ]
- Garage Lighting – update your garage. The “builder lighting” is always horrible, and have a few lights installed will be something you won’t regret. [ 8:27.7 lighting in garage ]
Types of Lighting for Safety
Seniors require a bit more lighting for extra safety in their home. Let’s check them out to figure out which one is best for your home:
- Toe Board Lighting – at the bottom of your kitchen cabinets – helps you be safer walking in your kitchen at night; [ 5:14.6 toe board lighting in kitchen ]
- Motion Sensor – The sensors recognize the path you are traveling in and light up the area as you move through your bedroom, hallway, bathroom or kitchen late at night. Great safety feature.
- Stair Tread Lighting – If you have a 2-story house, stair tread lighting is a great way to not slip and fall going up or down the stairs. Heck, they do it in the movie theaters, why not in your home?
- Garage Stair Lighting or Ramp Lighting – This is another area that tends to be always dark, so having a motion sensor installed to automatically light up when you move along this area, is a great help. [ 8:27.7 lighting in garage ]
Don’t forget, if you need an estimate on replacing or installing new interior lighting, give me a call. My team and I have been serving Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, River West, Near West Side, Printers Row, Dearborn Park, Gold Coast, Lake Shore East, New East Side, Streeterville, Near North, Loop, Old Town, River North, and all of Chicago area for 30+ years.
Related Blogs or Videos About Lighting or AIP