Why do some homes peel? Well, there are many reasons, but one of them is totally not having your exterior of the house prepared properly before painting. This video gives you one of the most important steps: sanding house before painting. Click on the video below to play the full video and tips.
Sanding House Before Painting
Of course, before painting your home or sanding the house, the first step is you need to properly clean the whole home with a pressure washer. Once that is done, follow these steps:
- Step 2: Remove any loose & flaking paint that didn’t come off with the pressure washer. After all loose paint is removed from hand-tooling, go to step 3
- Tip: Use a Purdy 5-in-1 Tool to get the job done right!
- Step 3: Sand the remaining edges down. You want to feather-sand those thick edges of paint down
- Tip: Use a palm sander or just a hand sander
- Step 4: Follow up with a good quality primer and paint
Related Videos and Blogs
Why is the Paint Peeling on Siding
Power Washing Exterior of House
My YouTube Channel with 130+ DIY and Home Improvement Videos
Final recap – Many painters take short-cuts when pressure washing, caulking and scraping and sanding house before painting. Make sure you get a detailed contract. Find out what day they are doing each step, and go out and take a gander to make sure things are being sanded and scraped properly. This should last you for many years. The most important thing to remember is your preparation is one of the most important steps to do in order to get the paint to adhere properly for many years to come.
Don’t forget, if you need an estimate on getting the exterior of your house painted or stained, give me a call. My team and I have been serving Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, River West, Near West Side, Printers Row, Dearborn Park, Gold Coast, Lake Shore East, New East Side, Streeterville, Near North, Loop, Old Town, River North, and all of Chicago area for 30+ years.